WVIN News - Sponsored By:

Today's Top Stories - Thursday, December 22nd

Elmira Inmate Accused in Virginia Cold Case:


A 35-year-old cold case in the Virginia might finally see a conclusion as authorities in Norfolk say they now have a suspect – an inmate at the Elmira Correctional Facility.  On September 5th 1981, 20-year-old Donna K. Walker was found dead inside her apartment in Norfolk, now after reexamining forensic evidence and a three year investigation, police have indicted 66-year-old Daniel Joseph Johnston.  Johnston is currently serving time on unrelated charges of second degree murder, sexual abuse, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, and assault.



4-Car Accident on Route 352 in Big Flats:


A Corning woman is listed in critical condition at Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, P.A. following a multi-car accident on State Route 352 in the Town of Big Flats.  According to Chemung County deputies 47-year-old Brenda Mckay, of Corning, was traveling west when she crossed the center line and struck a Jeep being driven by 41-year-old Cristopher Krueger of Elmira.  Two other vehicles traveling west were involved in secondary collision.  They were being driven by 47-year-old Tammy Selbig and 48-year-old William Winton, both of Elmira.  They, and Krueger, were treated and released for minor injuries.  Mckay was airlifted from the scene.  The investigation into the accident is ongoing.



“Bail-Jumper” Arrested:


An Ithaca man accused of “bail-jumping” has been arrested on a Superior Court Warrant.  43-year-old Dante Gilliam was arraigned and sent to the Steuben County Jail on $10,000 cash bail.  He’s expected to reappear in court today.



Village of Bath Awarded $320K for Liberty St. Renovations:


After repaving the village parking lot and upgrading the park, Bath will now turn its attention to improving the Liberty Street Corridor.  The Village has been awarded $320,000 through the Regional Economic Development Council’s Main Street Grant for various projects along the corridor, including façade work on store fronts, improving the streetscape, and $40,000 to restore the former Sherwood Liquor Store on West Steuben Street.  All of the projects received 75 percent of the cost through the grant; the business owners will be responsible for the remaining 25 percent.



Bath CVS to Close its Doors Jan. 28th:


After being a part of the Liberty Street landscape for more than 20 years, the CVS store in Bath has announced that it will be closing its doors in January.  Village Mayor Bill von Hagn said he was notified earlier this week of the January 28th closing.  He said that village officials will begin work immediately with outside companies to find a business to rent or purchase the location.  CVS officials reportedly indicated to Von Hagn that they will work to ensure current employees will have the chance to transfer to other area locations.  The closing of the Bath store is part of new long-term strategy that will see the closing of 70 stores in early 2017, saving the company an estimated $3 billion from 2017 to 2021.



Schumer Completes Annual 62-County Tour:


With a stop in the Columbia County city of Hudson on Wednesday, U.S. Senator Charles Schumer has once again completed his annual tour of all 62 counties in New York State.  In 2016, Schumer visited Long Island 47 times, Rochester and the Finger Lakes 26 times, the Hudson Valley 27 times, and western New York 19 times.  Despite the added responsibility of his new position as Senate minority leader, Schumer says he won’t give up on the tradition.  He plans to start over again in January.



P.A. Owned Unis. Finally Reach Deal with Faculty:


Two months after a brief strike, the negotiations between 14 Pennsylvania state-owned universities and their faculty is finally over.  The Pennsylvania State System’s of Board of Governors has approved the new contracts which will run through June 2018.  Agreements with coaches and nurses will expire in 2019, and the contract with the police and security officers expires in August 2017.  Faculty at the 14 universities – including Mansfield – went on strike for three days in October after negotiations fell through.

On Air Now

Jay Coffey
Jay Coffey
12:00pm - 3:00pm
Midday Show


Community & Twitter