Mental Health Situation in Lindley Closes C.R. 115:
A section of County Route 115 in the area of Morgan Creek Road in Lindley was shut down Wednesday afternoon during a “mental health situation” that resulted in the death of an unknown man in an apparent suicide. Details are limited at this time, but according to police, the man called Steuben County 911 earlier in the day, sparking the emergency response. The individual was found dead in a Kuhl Road home. The road did reopen Wednesday evening, and according to New York State Police the public is not in any danger.
Cases of Impetigo Confirmed at Horseheads High School:
The Horseheads High School issued a letter to parents Wednesday informing them of confirmed cases of impetigo at the school. Impetigo is a highly contagious skin infection caused by staph or strep bacteria. It’s recognized by small, clustered, pus-filled sores with little drainage usually found on the face, arms, and lower leg. In the letter, Superintendent Dr. Thomas Douglas said that they have not received notice of any confirmed cases from other district schools, but because of its contagious nature, they wanted to inform parents. He added that health officials say the spread of infections such as impetigo can be stopped by proper and complete handwashing. If you think your child may have impetigo, you should contact your healthcare provider.
C-PP SD to Check Building Beams After One Fails:
A review of load-bearing beams at all Corning-Painted Post school district buildings has been ordered by district officials after a beam failed at Winfield Elementary. According to Superintendent Michael Ginalski, there is no danger at Winfield and the building is “100 percent structurally safe.” He told The Corning Leader that the failed beam was one of the one’s in the original building, not any associated with recent renovations. HUNT Engineers will be conducting the checks on the other beams. The cost of the check is unknown at this time, but Ginalski said they may be able to pay for it through the existing project.
Reed Campaign Flyer Draws Heat from ‘Dresser-Rand’ Employees:
Congressman Tom Reed is taking some heat today after a recent mailer supporting his re-election featured Dresser-Rand. Some employees, current and former, of Siemens (Dresser-Rand) in Wellsville took issue with the mailer as it featured the claim that “Reed… helped save hundreds of jobs… at Dresser-Rand.” The company, in fact, announced earlier this year that it will be closing its operation in Wellsville, ending the careers of hundreds. The Reed campaign was quick to announce it had nothing to do with the mailer and denied any knowledge of it. The flyer was produced by ‘No Labels Action’ which, according to its website, “is focused on independently supporting members of the House Problem Solvers Caucus.” Reed is the co-chair of the caucus.
Ground Beef Recall:
A recall from a Colorado meat packer is affecting several nationwide grocery retailers. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has released a list of locations that took delivery of ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. Coli. The beef was produced and packaged at Cargill Meat Solutions in Fort Morgan, Colorado and shipped nationwide to Target and Meijer, as well as to other retailers in select states. The meat was recalled after an E. Coli outbreak killed one person and sickened 17, according to the USDA. The products included in the recall are 3-,10-, and 20-pound packages of ground beef under the Our Certified, Excel, Sterling Silver, Certified, and Fire River Farms brands with July 11th use or freeze by dates. They have the establishment number “EST.86R” inside the USDA mark of inspection.
- 3-lb. chubs of “OUR CERTIFIED 73/27 FINE GRIND GROUND BEEF” with a USE OR FREEZE BY JUL/11/18 and case code 00228749057646.
- 3-lb. chubs of “OUR CERTIFIED 73/27 FINE GRIND GROUND BEEF” with a USE OR FREEZE BY JUL/11/18 and case code 00228749002653.
- 10-lb. chubs of “EXCEL 73/27 FINE GRIND GROUND BEEF” with a Use/Frz. By Jul 11 and case code 00228749089098.
- 10-lb. chubs of “EXCEL 73/27 FINE GRIND GROUND BEEF” with a Use/Frz. By Jul 11 and case code 90028749002751.
- 10-lb. chubs of “EXCEL 81/19 FINE GRIND GROUND BEEF” with a Use/Frz. By Jul 11 and case code 90028749003536.
- 10-lb. chubs of “EXCEL GROUND BEEF 81/19 FINE GRIND” with a Use/Frz. By Jul 11 and case code 00228749003568.
- 10-lb. chubs of “EXCEL CHUCK GROUND BEEF 81/19 FINE GRIND” with a Use/Frz. By Jul 11 and case code 90028749402773.
- 20-lb. chubs of “EXCEL 81/19 FINE GRIND GROUND BEEF COMBO” with a Use/Frz. By Jul 11 and case code 90028749073935.
- 10-lb. chubs of “Sterling Silver CHUCK GROUND BEEF 81/19 FINE GRIND” with a Use/Frz. By Jul 11 and case code 00228749702416.
- 10-lb. chubs of “CERTIFIED ANGUS BEEF CHUCK GROUND BEEF 81/19 FINE GRIND” with a Use/Frz. By Jul 11 and case code 90028749802405.
- 10-lb. chubs of “CERTIFIED ANGUS BEEF CHUCK GROUND BEEF 81/19 FINE GRIND” with a Use/Frz. By Jul 11 with case code 00228749802413.
- 10-lb. chubs of “Fire River Farms CLASSIC GROUND BEEF 81/19 FINE GRIND” with a USE/FREEZE BY: 07/11/2018 with case code 90734730297241.