Addison House Fire Turns into Meth Lab Investigation:
The investigation into a house fire in Addison Tuesday night has turned into a meth lab investigation. According to the New York State Police investigators were called to the house on Reservoir Hill Road after items used in the making of meth were discovered and a search warrant executed on the home lead to the seizure of meth lab equipment. It is not known at this time if the meth lab caused the fire. Troopers say no one was home at the time. The investigation is ongoing.
Public Hearing on McDonald’s Construction:
The re-construction of the McDonald’s restaurant in Bath is the subject of a public hearing next week. An amended site plan application has been filed with the village planning board. The hearing on the plan will be held in the municipal building on April 12th at 5:30 p.m.
Village of Bath Borrows $23.6M for Wastewater Facility:
The village board in Bath has approved borrowing $23.6 million. The bond resolution will fund upgrades to the village’s wastewater treatment facility. The move to borrow the money was approved earlier the week by village trustees. The resolution will take effect May 2nd, unless a petition is filed with the village clerk seeking a public vote on the plan.
Gov. Cuomo Announces New Initiative to Combat Substance Abuse Among Student
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced Thursday a new initiative to provide teachers and coaches with resources they can use to help prevent and address substance use disorder among young people. Starting next week, the New York State Department of Health, the New York State Education Department, and the New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services will notify schools statewide of the availability of flash drives loaded with materials in English and Spanish for coaches, teachers, school nurses, and other educators to use in personal conversations with students and in community forums. The initiative aligns with the start of spring sports season, when school athletic directors, coaches, and trainers have the opportunity to discuss the dangers of prescription opioids with student athletes and their parents or guardians.
Rogue Chinchilla Wreaks Havoc at Almond Municipal Building:
It may sound like a late April Fool’s joke, but the chinchilla running loose in the Almond municipal building is anything but funny to officials. The animal – which is a large rodent native to parts of Bolivia, Peru, Argentina and Chile – has made several mysterious appearances, even being spotted by Fire Chief Andy Hulbert. It has apparently evaded traps for several weeks, and the town and village have now contracted to rewire and protect its electrical wiring from rodents. A $2,500 quote for work has been put on hold until further consultation between the village and town, as it’s uncertain which is responsible for the cost given the shared office space. It’s believed the chinchilla was a pet that was turned loose during a private event.